Thursday, December 9, 2010

Quote

"If you know someone who has lost a child, and you're afraid to mention them because you think you might make them sad by reminding them that they died--you're not reminding them. They didn't forget they died. What you're reminding them of is that you remembered that they lived, and that is a great gift." ~Elizabeth Edwards

I recently came across this quote and it rings so true. Most are unsure what to say or how to react when a relative or friend loses a child. This often leaves the grieving parents feeling alone and abandoned because relatives and family ignore the loss or skirt around it. We're not so fragile that the slightest mention of our child will cause us to crumble and fall apart. We want others to acknowledge our child and their life, however long or short. To forget they ever existed by skirting around them hurts the grieving parents even more. I like talking about Duncan. I'm reminded of him everyday. I smile when someone inquires about the meaning of my tattoos. Talking about him doesn't make me uncomfortable or reopen wounds. It brings me joy to talk about him, honor and remember him. I want others to acknowledge him and what he means to me.

1 comments:

rebecca said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier and your incredibly kind words. I also loved that quote by Elizabeth Edwards, she is such an inspiration of grace, courage, and strength! I also love my memorial tattoo and showing it off! Great idea with the Toys for Tots, I may have to do something similar, what a fantastic way to honor our children who are no longer with us. Duncan was a beautiful baby as well, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Post a Comment

Sunshine After A Rainy Day


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones